Race Result: Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for European American compared to African American.
Native Result: Your data suggest little or no association between White Am. and Native Am. with Foreign and American.
1. For the race results, I was not surprised about it whatsoever. I did not have much of a reaction because I felt that it was an appropriate representation of my views. Similarly, for the native result, I was not surprised either. I also felt that it was an accurate result and thus I did not have much of a reaction.
2. I don't think either test raised any flags for me. For the race test, the only one that was not neutral, was not much of a reflection of me as a person but how American society has influenced me in the perception of African Americans. So it is not so much that it says something about myself but rather about society as a whole.
3. I thought both of my results were valid. I accepted them as accurate right away and felt that they reflected my thoughts and feelings correctly.
4. One example is the belief that people from the Northern states or Western States, more specifically, the Northeast, are smarter, more talented, more successful, open minded and generally better than those from the South, more specifically, the Deep South. These generalizations can be considered stereotypes because although they although they have basis in some truth, they don't accurately portray the people from the South. In order to distinguish generalizations from stereotypes, the generalizations have to be true and they have to represent the people accurately so that they can be applied to most Southerners and have it be true whether these generalizations be good or bad.
5. In order to combat jumping to false conclusions, we as a society have to combat all forms of ignorance. By educating ourselves about other types people, whether we approve of them or not, we will began to understand and those conscious thoughts will sear into our minds and become unconscious thinking. Since humans can't help make rapid cognition, through education and the fight against ignorance, our rapid cognition will lead us to accurate conclusions rather than false ones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
do you believe that learning about other people is enough? many others believed that their IAT results were not valid. how might you respond to that?
ReplyDelete